Chemonics seeks a Chief of party for the anticipated five-year, $25-50 million USAID-funded Tanzania Kilimo Tija activity. The project, currently anticipated to begin mid-2022, is expected to increase the competitiveness and inclusiveness of horticulture market systems. Incorporating a holistic approach to poverty reduction, Kilimo Tija is also expected to engage women and youth in new market roles, while improving the nutritional status of Tanzanians altogether. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Provide leadership, technical direction, and management oversight for all project activities and results
- Provide overall vision and strategy for the implementation of the project, ensuring all project components are integrated and mutually reinforcing
- Serve as the primary liaison between the project and USAID, the government of Tanzania, and international and local partners
- Ensure alignment and complementarity of program activities and design with USAID’s strategy and portfolio of programs across Tanzania as well as the Tanzanian government, the private sector, and other donors
- Ensure project compliance with all contractual, financial and administrative requirements, with support from the home office and operations/finance team
- Oversee operations of the project office in-country in accordance with the policies and procedures established by Chemonics management, including human resources, procurement, finance and administration, and subcontracting
- Promote strategic planning, management, collaboration, and teamwork with shared vision, sound business decisions, and coordination with key stakeholders’ national plans
- Oversee development of annual work plans and budgets, new activity implementation plans, quarterly reports and other reports as USAID requires
- Supervise program activities, including oversight of managerial and technical personnel and subcontractors, to achieve project objectives
- Ensure quality and timely delivery of contract activities and deliverables
- Manage, mentor, and develop a high-performing team of international and local technical and administrative staff
- Develop and maintain high-trust relationships with stakeholders at all levels – from rural farmers to multi-national business executives and senior government leaders
- A master’s degree in agribusiness, agricultural science, economics, business administration and marketing, international trade, social sciences, international development or related field
- 10-15 years of relevant professional experience demonstrating increasing managerial responsibility
- Minimum of five years of experience managing complex horticultural and/or agricultural development programs with a market system, value chain development, and/or private sector focus, preferably within an African context
- Prior work experience in Tanzania and/or East Africa
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills, with evidence of ability to productively interact with a wide range of stakeholders, including government, private sector, NGOs, academia, civil society and research institutions
- Familiarity with market systems development including finance, input supply, output markets, extension, and access to knowledge, with a focus on strengthening local markets and service providers
- Expertise in organizational development and demonstrated ability to mentor and strengthen the capacity of local government and local staff
- Experience in group formation, provision delivery, and horticulture productivity, including knowledge of relevant technologies, improved practices, and integrated soil fertility and water management
- Experience addressing issues of gender and youth, as well as expertise developing programming that enables the inclusion of women and youth in market systems development
- Familiarity with collaborative learning and adaptive (CLA) management
- Ability to manage and leverage grants to achieve improved industry performance and increased benefits to female and youth actors
- Familiarity with USAID rules and regulations and experience in budgeting, procurement, and financial management
- Prior Chief of party or experience providing project oversight and leadership preferred
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity with the ability to work in challenging environments and amongst multi-cultural teams
- Demonstrated leadership skills, versatility, and integrity
- Fluency in English required
Please send an email with your CV and cover letter attached and Chief of party in the subject line to TanzaniaKTRecruit@chemonics.com no later than December 10, 2021. No telephone inquiries, please. Chemonics will contact finalists.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, or other legally protected characteristics. Military veterans, AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
The protection of your personal data is important to Chemonics. If you are located in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process your personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/.