CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
TANZANIA CENTRE FOR DEMOCRACY
Position Title: Chief Executive Officer
Reports to: TCD Summit via TCD Chairperson
Country: United Republic of Tanzania (Both Mainland and Zanzibar)
About Tanzania Centre for Democracy
Tanzania Centre for Democracy is a non-partisan, non-religious and non for profit political parties’ membership organization founded by five political parties with representative from the parliament of the United Republic of Tanzania namely Chama Cha Demokrasia na Maendeleo CHADEMA, Chama cha Mapinduzi CCM, Chama Cha Wananchi -CUF, Tanzania Labour Party (TLP) and United Democratic party (UDP).
TCD serves as the forum for dialogue, among political parties on issues of national importance including Democracy, Rule of Law aimed at promoting, strengthening and sustaining multiparty democracy in Tanzania. The member political parties therefore, cooperate with view of enhancing and deepening multiparty democracy by working together through dialogues, mutual consultations and implementing agenda for democratic National development.
TCD has entered into partnership with Legal and Human Rights Centre to undertake the project Titled Strengthening Tanzania Centre for Democracy in delivering its mandate in working through an inclusive democratic and political system in Tanzania. For this purpose, Legal and Human Rights Centre on behalf of Tanzania Centre for Democracy is recruiting TCD Chief Executive Officer.
TCD is an equal employer and does not discriminate or engage in activities that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, colour, religion, sex, ethnicity, age, marital status, disability, or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
TCD Chief Executive Officer Job Description.
- Provide overall conceptual and strategic leadership of the TCD.
- Direct and manage the organisation of professional and support staff.
- Coordinate the establishment of TCD strategies and policies for effective delivery of the organisation’s mandate.
- Supervise the implementation of TCD work plan to ensure that all planned activities are carried out to achieve organisational goals and objectives.
- Conduct official correspondence for the organisation and sign off legal documents as and when need arises.
- Oversee the monitoring of organisational budgets to ensure that the organization operates within budget guidelines.
- Source actively for funding from diverse partners and donors through partnerships and networks to achieve TCD strategic objectives.
- Supervise programs in liaison with the Programs Directors to ensure that the programs meet the targets and deliverables outlined in the Strategic Plan, donor agreements and satisfies other program commitments. Develop a respectful and professional working relationship with key sub-grantees and other partners to ensure smooth flow of program activities and goodwill.
- Act as focal point of contact with donors and develop a respectful and professional relationship with them to ensure smooth flow of program activities and goodwill.
- Act a TCD representative in national and international forums as required to provide necessary input on core issues in the industry and develop networks.
- Act as an interface between the board and staff to inform staff on Board directives and advise the Board accordingly on organisational operations.
- Oversee the recruitment and selection of TCD employees.
- Report monthly/quarterly/annually to the Board on various matters of the organization and to follow up on the implementation of directives given.
- Conduct performance reviews with the staff as per the Performance Management guidelines and in a timely manner each year.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Board of Directors.
Qualification, Knowledge and Skills
Master’s degree in Law (LLM), Political Science, Public Administration, Economics, or any other related field from a recognized institution.
A minimum of 12 years of progressively responsible experience in the related field, including 5 years in the senior management position.
- Knowledge and understanding of national, regional and international human rights laws and charters Demonstrated experience in stakeholder management that include donors and government institutions.
- Demonstrated experience in delivering strategies for donor funded institutions similar to TCD Evidence in leading the development and implementation of budgets to actualise organisational objectives Evidence of leading research and publication in recognized peer reviewed journals Proven experience in managing staff
- Strong proficiency in written and spoken English and Fluent in Kiswahili Display of highest standard of ethical conduct
- Strong understanding of the international development context and experience in the international development sector.
- Ability to anticipate changes to inform policy development and implementation
- Ability to proactively take actions and make strategic decisions
- Ability to communicate with external bodies clearly and concisely
- Ability to build opportunities for value added relationships
- Ability to apply a high level of influential strategy
- Ability to drive change at a strategic and operational level
- Experience working with cross cultural teams
- Ability to maintain direction despite risk of conflict
- Ability to encourage a friendly working environment which allows career development
HOW TO APPLY
Mode of application: firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for submitting the application is 17 September 2021.