PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
AngloGold Ashanti’s vision is to be the leading mining company. We will achieve this vision by creating a sustainable business in line with AGA strategy for our shareholders and business partners without compromising our values.
The Managing director of Geita is accountable to the SVP BU for the delivery of the targeted gold production at the right production cost margin for Geita Mine. This will deliver the shareholder value that is required to grow Geita consistently over the next period. The management of available cash flow and capital for further investment is a key accountability. The incumbent will represent the company in Tanzania, working closely with the VP Sustainability to build government relations. The MD is accountable to prepare the board reports and to represent the company at all board meetings.
As AGA is globally going through active shareholder value analysis, the role is also to work with the BU Team to build various hypotheses and in conjunction with the Project 500 team, analyse and identify the best opportunities for cost optimisation. A key accountability will be to build the management’s team competence and capability to achieve a critical turnaround for Geita, driving costs down and production output up, improves and stabilizes Geita’s profitability. This must be achieved by using consistent leadership processes and systems.
The role of Managing Director will be accountable for the analysis of risks and opportunities for improvement of technologies and methodologies for operations, as well as ensure the effective integration between operational activities and drive an annual management cycle, aligned to the BU, to ensure improved planning processes for all core operations departments in Geita.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum 10 yrs+ as GM of U/G and Surface operations
- 20 yrs experience in U/G mechanised mining from multiple operations.
- Expat/Overseas experience at senior management level and at Mining Operations.
- Geoscience qualification, Mining Degree is preferable.
- 25 years operational experience
- 15 yrs U/G, 5 yrs Surface
- U/G mining trackless mechanized,
- Managed U/G mining contractors.
- Held senior statutory positions while working GM level.
- Demonstrate behaviors consistent with AngloGold Values.
- Ability to build relationships
- Team based focus
- Proven ability to organize and prioritize tasks and working under pressure to achieve set deadlines.
- Ensure the quality of deliverables align with the needs of the company.
The role holder has the following accountabilities and authorities pertaining to the role of Managing Director in the overall context of AGA CAR and GGM system and processes.
- Demonstrate behaviour that is consistent with the AGA Safety Vision and Values
- Accountable for the zero incident and accident requirements for Geita mine
- Ensure all functions adhere to and implementation AGA Safety Standards within CAR.
- Ensuring that health and safety guidelines are followed by all functions and that their Safety Programs are set up annually, measured and improved continuously, thus creating a safe environments where employees can work and their families can live.
- Accountable for the quality of Geita’s housekeeping in all areas.
Strategic Management of Geita
- Optimize Operational Effectiveness and Production Efficiencies in support of one to five year Production Targets
- Ensure business surveys and measurement metrics are set in place to measure and monitor improving the environment as continuous improvement programs are rolled out over a 5 year period.
- Developing strategies for the Business Unit that will recognise changes in the country (i.e. political, social, legal, and commercial) in order to maintain and sustain a particular part of the operational competitiveness;
- Developing the LOM plan options with the support of cross-functional resources that are made available in assuring a reliable and achievable production plan, thus positioning the mine for stability in current operations and growth potential for the future;
- Integrating the work of all production units and support functions such that targets are achieved in manner that optimizes the assets and consistent with the plan;
- Continuously improving the business, safeguarding the assets, and implementing new approaches that result in best practices among the peer group within the industry.
Sustainability, Stakeholder Engagement & Communication:
- Working closely in a collateral relationship with the VP Sustainability, agree on the External Communication and Stakeholders Engagement Models of the company in Tanzania. Sustainability is accountable for the development of these and various other environmental and community programs outside the mining fence.
- Provide support to the VP Sustainability as and when required in support of relevant Environmental and Community Development Programs.
- Engaging internal & external stakeholders on business related matters working within Corporate and Regional stakeholder engagement & communication standards, guidelines and strategies;
- Taking the necessary actions to comply with and protect the environment consistent with legislation and company values and policies;
- Establishing a sound Health, Environment and Safety track record on the mine and within the community with a pro-active approach to action in line with the greater AGA strategy and direction;
- Ensure all measures are taken to secure and maintain the licences to operate within the timeframes required by legislation in all jurisdictions in which Geita has current and future interests;
- Engaging internal and external stakeholders to ensure all matters pertaining to Operations, working in a cross functional manner with all relevant Unit Managers in Geita, as well as BU Regional Management.
- Deal with internal and external stakeholders, contractors and specialists to ensure the latest global and regional benchmarks are taken into consideration, enabling Geita to operate “ahead of the curve” in terms of standards and procedures.
- Accountable for the identification and management of operational risks and issues on the plant, as per the global and the local OHSE Legislative frameworks.
- Identifying and prioritizing all operational risks and liabilities and monitor the implementation and effectiveness of risk and liability mitigation action plans.
Planning & Budget:
- Ensure the development of an improved department budget planning system or framework, in conjunction with Finance, in order to demonstrate efficiency and effectiveness in achieving business performance objectives.
- Analyse monthly variance reports from all departments, identifying potential areas for improvement, low hanging fruit in optimisation of cost and operations.
- Understand where cost savings will come from and identify opportunities for changes to the way the company plans to achieve its promised objectives.
- Analyse business performance and profitability margin cost drivers and endeavour to improve the margin at all times, analysing environmental aspects’ impact on the ability of the company to produce more at higher margin.
Reporting, Monitoring & Evaluation,
- Provide direct output to the SVP in ensuring that all BU monthly and quarterly board reporting is aligned with standards, guidelines and schedules;
- Monitor and evaluate BU reporting for executive decision-making and internal/external information sharing;
- Monitor and evaluate relevant pieces of work, delivering an analysis thereof to the SVP, as and when required.
- Preparation of CAR reports to the Operations division, pertaining to trends and improvement of capital projects, leadership systems, processes, systems, frameworks and the implications thereof.
- Preparation of reports to Project 500 pertaining to identified opportunities for optimisation.
- Maintain and improve the GGM People Planning process, designing work aligned to business requirements and meets GoT legislation.
- Support Line Managers to achieve annual leadership systems and process deadlines and objectives, mentoring new managers and existing managers of the appropriate behaviours and values within work management.
- Increase the organizational effectiveness of the Tanzania business, by ensuring all Line Managers are trained in the organizational design model and that it is used in the daily improvement of who should be making what decisions, building their capability to make more effective decisions, executing work at the right level of work, ensuring processes and procedures that allows for follow-through to completion.
- Coach and mentor to enable all line managers to achieve the operational results safely and within time and quality parameters.
- Ensure competent resources at the right level are recruited and people are continuously developed, to provide best practices in achieving production targets at required quality and cost per ounces, over a longer period of time.
- Ensure the right people in the right role to ensure a new and improved future state of operational excellence.
- Ensure a culture of performance excellence and the setting of operational standards are achieved.
- Create and maintain a participative decision-making culture, giving specific attention to Employee Value Propositions, making it an Employer of Choice in Tanzania and across the AGA Corporation.
- Develop Contracting Models to ensure the right parts of the work is outsourced, or that that correct Contractors are considered by Heads of Departments, when they need to make their choices.
- Ensure a culture of Contractor Management exists where Managers do not delegate the control of contractors to their staff and that Contractors must report formally, monthly, against their cost and promised service delivery.
The role holder holds authorities as per the signing authority level in the CAR Delegation of Authority Policy which can be accessed on the intranet.
Authority to represent the Company:
The role holder has the authority to represent the company as per the (DoA) policy on the following:
- Board of Directors for Geita Mine
- Government officials
- Non-Government Officials (Policy Control Direct Output)
- The Media (Policy Control Direct Output)
- Advisors and Contractors (Policy Control Direct Output)
- Union representatives (Policy Control Direct Output)
- Surrounding Communities & Other stakeholders
- Chamber of Mines (Policy Control Direct Output)