Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Officer (1)
Medical Teams International
|Department:||Programs||Grey Sections to be completed by Human Resources.|
|Reports to (position):||Program Manager||Org. Reporting Line:|
|Workdays & Number of scheduled hours per week:||Monday-Friday, 40 hours/week, occasional weekends and public holidays||FLSA:||N/A|
|Full Time or Part Time||Full Time|
|Position Type:||Regular Employee||EEO Job Class:||N/A|
|Travel:||Frequent travel to field locations||Last Update:||22/12/2021|
|If Manager of Staff: Number (and Titles) of Direct Reports:||Total # of Staff in Team/Department under management of this position:|
Medical Teams International Calling:
Daring to love like Jesus, we boldly break barriers to health and restore wholeness in a hurting world.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) are essential in the design and implementation of Medical Teams International’s programs. The primary role of the MEAL Officer is to work directly with field operations technical and program staff to ensure implementation of high-quality MEAL at the field level. The position provides technical analysis, design and support in the area of Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning in line with Medical Teams program standards, donor guidelines, and humanitarian sector best practice to deliver high-quality health programming. Working closely with headquarters technical advisors and experts, the MEAL Officer develops effective MEAL systems and data collection tools; collects data using qualitative and quantitative methods; and conducts data entry and analysis.
- Supervise country office MEAL staff
- Work with country office leadership to determine staffing levels/roles needed to support country office MEAL activities and participate in recruitment to fill those positions
- Develop country office M&E processes, methodologies and tools for planning, monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning in line with Medical Teams policies and standards
- Monitor implementation of systems, processes and tools ensuring quality and consistency in M&E collection and reporting
- Produce a comprehensive M&E plan for the program and conduct regular monitoring of progress toward that plan
- Provide technical expertise in household survey sampling design, questionnaire development, enumerator training and implementation, including programming needed for electronic data collection
- Contribute to the development of project proposals and reports, including assessments, log frames, M&E plans, baseline and end line survey reports.
- Monitor, analyze and summarize data collected from surveys and project activities
- Conduct data quality assessments & data audits to ensure that the collected data is accurate and maintains the integrity of the project
- Conduct beneficiary interviews, focus group discussions, and quality improvement verification visits to the project sites as required by the program
- Compile project monitoring data into internal and external reports reflecting activity indicators to guide management decision making, provide accountability to beneficiaries and stakeholders, share learning and demonstrate impact
- Contribute to the establishment of an effective complaints, accountability and response mechanism to enhance feedback, trust and confidence with beneficiaries
- Ensure accountability is integrated into country strategies, program design, monitoring and evaluations, recruitment, staff onboarding, trainings and performance management, partnership agreements, and highlighted in reporting.
- Ensure data storage and systems for sharing are set up to protect confidentiality of personally identifying beneficiary data and adhere to generally accepted principles for data protection.
- Support safeguarding of program participants and personnel through promoting an environment of awareness and upholding the code of conduct provisions of Medical Teams Protection from Sexual Exploitation & Abuse, and Child & Vulnerable Adult protection policies and sexual harassment policies
- Develop systematic approaches that support documenting how change is happening within programs and making knowledge accessible and usable at local, country office and global level to inform programming
- Support and organize collection of success stories, case studies and photos of activities for knowledge management
- Maintain a filing system for all MEAL activities, reports and analyses in hard and soft copies, including backups
Collaboration and Coordination:
- Collaborates with Medical Teams HQ Programs and technical team for data sharing, reporting, and quality improvement
- Coordinate with M&E counterparts in other organizations and information management working groups
- Collaborate with local Ministry of Health (MoH) for ethics approvals for all surveys
- Utilize volunteers when appropriate.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Commitment to Medical Teams International Calling Statement and Core Values.
EDUCATION, LICENSES, & CERTIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Health, Demography, Statistics, Social Sciences or related field or equivalent experience required
- Certificate in monitoring and evaluation preferred
- At least three years of experience with monitoring and evaluation systems in a humanitarian or development context required
- Proven experience in collecting quantitative and qualitative data using various survey modalities and sampling methodologies, including development of collection instruments, training of enumerators, monitoring of field collection and data quality control.
- Experience managing and providing ongoing training to staff involved with data collection and reporting.
- Experience with electronic data collection and management (Kobo preferred).
- Experience with HMIS data management and development of project monitoring systems
- Skills in IT, databases, statistical software and analysis, particularly in areas related to monitoring and evaluation.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Sound theoretical knowledge and demonstrated skills of monitoring and evaluation systems including quantitative and qualitative data
- Knowledge of project cycle management
- Knowledge of CHS and SPHERE standards
- Knowledge of quantitative and qualitative survey methods
- Knowledge of evaluation methodologies
- Knowledge of mHealth and digital data collection systems
- Familiarity with grant management and institutional donor requirements related to proposals and reporting
- Skilled at building and maintaining a high functioning, high performing work team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong proposal and report writing skills.
- Professional working proficiency in English and Swahili
- Strong computer literacy skills in word processing, spreadsheets, data collection software, data analysis software and presentations
- Well-organized, with strong problem-solving skills and outstanding attention to detail
- Strong and effective interpersonal skills in working with colleagues in a multicultural environment
- Self-directed, intrinsically motivated; proven capacity to multitask, work successfully in a team and be responsive to time-sensitive deadlines
- Ability to work collaboratively with others.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently across teams and time zones while remote
- Ability to travel to project locations regularly
- Ability to present technical information in lay terminology
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & WORKING CONDITIONS
|The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job the employee must be able to:|
|· Frequent use of a personal computer, database and digital platforms, and other office productivity machinery, such as a copy machine and computer printer.|
|· Frequently uses hands, fingers, and arms to reach, handle, touch or feel equipment, medical instruments, materials, computer.|
|· Frequent communication and exchange of information among colleagues and persons of concern which requires the ability to speak, hear, convey and express oneself.|
|· Frequent close vision and the ability to adjust focus.|
|· Occasionally ascends/descends stairs, steps, or ladder.|
|· Occasionally move about inside an office to access file cabinets, office machinery, meet with collogues, etc.|
|· The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.|
|· Seldom to occasionally positions self to Stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.|
|· If in travel status, occasional to frequent traversing over rough or steep terrain in either a motor vehicle or on foot.|
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet. Add more options and include field requirements.
- The employee may be required to travel to remote areas of the world where there are potential health hazards and risks, limited hygiene facilities, extreme hot or cold weather, and very basic living conditions.
NOTE: The above job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by staff assigned to this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of staff in this position. Duties, responsibilities, and skills are also subject to change based on the changing needs of the job, department, or organization. This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions, it does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned; The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by Medical Teams International as the requirements of the job change.
- All interested applicants who meet the criteria should email their application letter and CV in either PDF or Word only, including three work related referee to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Indicate your expected salary, current/previous salary, and notice period at the bottom of your CV.
- Indicate clearly the position applied for in the subject line” Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning Officer”.
- Application Deadline: 18th of January 2022 at 1700HRS.